A family trip to bliss
During the first week of March my whole family (parents, siblings, wives, husbands and children) packed up (lightly!) and headed over to Lord Howe Island. Just 2 hours from Sydney, off the east coast of NSW, Lord Howe Island is truly a little piece of paradise. The water is crystal clear, nobody uses locks on their doors and turtles swim just meters from the shore. The weather is just gorgeous; everyday sits around 25-26 degrees Celsius during the day and 21-22 degrees at night.
- Travel light – you can only take 14kg of luggage on the small Qantas plane that takes you to the island. See my packing post for all I needed for a great stay.
- Send over all heavy items, especially alcohol, by post prior to your stay. The Island encourages visitors to have BBQs (with excellent, clean BBQs available all over the island at no charge) and food & drink is quite expensive on the island so simply pack a box or two of alcohol and other non-perishables and send care of the post office with instructions as to when you are arriving and where you are staying. The friendly Lord Howe locals will make sure it gets to you.
- Try the muffins at The Anchorage – they are simply delish. In fact everything at The Anchorage is really tasty and the coffee is great too. The staff bake their own bread every morning and it is well worth a wander down each morning.
- Stay on Ned’s Beach Road – it means you are walking distance to The Lagoon, Ned’s Beach & Old Settlement Beach (the best places for snorkelling) as well as The Anchorage for morning coffee.
- Worry if you forget your snorkel. The Island has lots of places to hire snorkel gear, including via an honesty box on Ned’s Beach.
- Forget some Mortein plug-ins. There can be a few mosquitos at dusk and overnight and the anti-mosquito paraphernalia is expensive on the island.
- Expect to be connected to the rest of the world during your stay. There is no mobile connection and limited wifi on the island. We spent the week completely unplugged and kept all our mobile devices on airplane mode for the entire week and it was bliss.